Tuesday, June 12, 2012

RRD Course Racing on Maui

Now that Summer is here and the waves are gone I've jumped on the bandwagon and joined the race scene. With the RRD K-70 Race board and my new set of RRD Addictions race kites I'm sure to figure it all out soon. I was lucky enough to hook up with Paolo Rista at Rista fins and he set me up with a killer set of "wheels" (aka fins) now all I have to do is practice and put my skills to the test.

Paolo Rista is the master mind behind Rista fins, based out of Maui he makes the best fins in the business. Very professional and helpful on and off the water.


I find racing very interesting, it's black and white. It's not like freestyle where the competitors buddies are the judges. There is winners and there is losers, and most of all your not being judged by someone who may have a biased opinion.

I've had my race gear for a week now and all I can say is I feel like a beginner again, but every now and then a couple of the race guys down at the beach help me out any give my useful tips. Each time I go out I learn something new. I love it. It's like having your own personal little boat out there.

5 days on a race board and I signed up for my first course race. I did better than I thought. I got 10th out of 17. It was good practice more than anything. Being in the lineup, hearing the rules, just being out there so close to some many kites will all be beneficial for the next race I attend.


I've never entered a course race before but seeing how Naish was an hour late for their own skippers meeting I guess it's not to official of an event. Maybe if they didn't gave everybody a free Naish kite that can spell KITE. Then they might not have to collect 60$ a head. It's not like there is any prize money. To me it sounds like NAISH is trying to make ends meet. Who knows maybe they're late on their electric bill.... Lol!!!!

I'm kind of new at how the point system works, but I can clearly see a few mistakes here. Not only did they not properly keep track of who finished in what place but the added a few extra points on the girl Raquel's 3rd race. For the record I got 8th not 10th on my second race.

All in all it was a good experience. I'll be practicing all summer so I can get off Maui every now and then to enter some real events once I have a couple of months under my feet


No comments:

Post a Comment