Saturday, August 18, 2012

2012 Maui Naish Kite Race Series Final Result

The results are in for the 2012 Naish Kite Race Series
The results are in for the 2012 Naish Kite Race Series. I scored 7th over all, not too bad for an amateur. I've only been on my RRD race gear three months now and have learned a lot, thanks to some of the locals racers like Paolo Rista and Don Yoakum. I see them out there on their race boards and try to keep up only to get worked. But every now and then they slow down, let me catch up and help me out with a few pointers. Also a thanks to Naish for all their work putting on the event.


The start of the race is key if you plan on winning. As for me, my main goal was I just didn't want to get tangled up with anyone. So with that said, I had a few late starts but the course was fairly large and 2 laps per race. I had plenty of time to catch up.


Being my first actual race I've learned it's not all about being the fastest guy on the water, its about being committed to what you actually started. It's about showing up and racing every race. It takes commitment to stay there the whole day of the race but not only that, all the training you have to put in.




With the spectators watching your every move it pushes you to try even harder and to give it all you got.



I love the feeling of coming up and passing someone, its like your on your own little race car powered by you kite skills and board handling.





I love my 2012 RRD Addiction MKIII and RRD K-Race 70.


Learning when and where to tack is also pretty important in racing. Every race I learned something new that helped me in the next race.


I encourage everyone to pick up a Race board and give it a try. Last year I was living near San Francisco and saw "Bernie" a.k.a Bryan Lake, Adam Koch and Johnny Heineken doing the race thing. Not knowing they were the faster guys in the world I'm now kicking myself in the butt wishing I got into it back then and picked their brains a little bit. I'm sure I'll be back there one day to enjoy the killer conditions The Delta has to offer.


Being on a Courseboard opens a whole new aspect to the sport of kiteboarding. I've been riding surfboards and twin tips for years now and was never really interested in the race scene. But now that I have some experience under my belt I plan on practicing some more, continuing to race and entering some real kite races outside of Maui.


Thanks to my Beautiful girlfriend DeeDee Lewis for capturing all the action and encouraging me in my racing.



No comments:

Post a Comment